From March 6 2012
The Brno Villa of Greta and Fritz Tugendhat built between 1929 to 1930 and designed by the architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, is one of the most important monuments of 20th-century architecture. It is the only example of Modern architecture recorded on the UNESCO List of World Cultural Heritage in the Czech Republic, as well as in the whole of Central Europe. Villa Tugendhat underwent monumental renewal and restoration work between 2010 to 2012.
Both the structure of the villa along with the adjoining garden have been restored to their original appearance for the first time since completion of the Villa in 1930. The interiors are equipped with exact replicas of the original furnishings. The technical equipment of the Villa (the air technology rooms and engine room for the retractable windows) was restored in the basement and is newly accessible to the public as part of the guided tour. This area also houses an exhibition presenting the architect, the owners and family life in the Villa up to 1938 when the Tugendhats were forced to emigrate with the threat of the Second World War looming.
The Study and Documentation Centre in Villa Tugendhat can be visited by scholars, and a new complex website devoted to the Villa and its restoration process has also been created.